Friday 16 September 2011

A Day With Crater Lake - Part 2 (Exploration)

Time for phase 2 of the pics from my recent trip to Crater Lake...

After seeing how cool a star pattern the Sigma 10-20mm lens would provide at f22, it seemed only fair to shoot a few pics of the sun during the day too...


Crater Lake is most famous for it's amazing blue water, as all of it's water comes from rain and melting snow and has no river in or out that could pollute it.

No matter where you are in Crater Lake National Park, if you can see the lake the blue water will call out to you.



If it's your first time standing at the edge of the rim at Crater Lake you will be forgiven for standing still, completely motionless, awestruck by the awesome beauty that lies before you.


Last year when I first visited Crater Lake while in Oregon with work I didn't even know that the Garfield Peak trail existed, so when I visited it yesterday I made a point to hike the trail which is 1.5 miles long and climbs up 970 feet from it's starting point, ending with you standing 8000 feet above sea level.


Had I known how amazing the views were from the Garfield Peak trail I would definitely have took the time to hike up the trail last year.  At least I know now for next time...



More now from the Garfield Peak trail from the camera 2's images, my trusty Sony R1 workhorse...

On the west side of the Crater Lake caldera is Discovery Point, which is pretty much the final main stop before you reach the Rim Village on the South West of the crater.

From Discovery Point you can get a decent shot of Wizard Island, which you can see off to the left side of this image. 

I wanted to get a nice shot of as much of the lake as possible for this pic.


As I explained in the previous photo, Discovery Point also gives a great vantage point from which to shoot Wizard Island.


A little earier in the day I shot some images of Wizard Island from the side of Hillman Peak near the Watchman Viewpoint.

As you can see, in the early morning light the colour of the water isn't as radiant as it is later in the day.



Last year when I visited Crater Lake it was a few weeks later into the summer months, and as such there was hardly any snow other than a few lumps left on top of Cloudcap viewpoint, this time there was still a good sprinkling throughout the park and severe amounts in some of the less exposed areas.


More still to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment