Saturday 24 September 2011

Hells Canyon & Glacier National Park - Hells Canyon & Glacier National Park - The Planning

After my recent roadtrip to spend sunrise through sunset at Crater Lake a month or two back, I had some crazy notions about taking it one step further for my next major trip (those single day 600 mile drives don't count anymore in my eyes).

With a 3 day weekend for Labor Day looming at the start of September I started making plans for what on paper looked to be a good 1700 mile mammoth roadtrip, which I would do over two and a half days of the extended weekend.

1700 miles in around 2 days, yup, you heard me right, where the hell was I planning to go, here's the rundown:-


Saturday AM - Drive from hotel through Columbia Gorge and onto Brownlee Dam on border with Idaho

Saturday afternoon - Explore Hells Canyon which is the deepest "gorge" in America (according to it's Wikipedia article)

Estimated mileage at this stage - 465 miles

Saturday PM - Head North through the mountains and valleys of Oregon & Washington, swing East into Idaho and then continue on into Montana in the direction of Glacier National Park

Estimated mileage at this stage - 915 miles

Sunday AM - Catch sunrise at East Glacier, spend the day exploring the National Park

Estimated mileage at this stage - 1060 miles

Sunday PM - Start the long drive back to the hotel.

Monday AM - Arrive back at the hotel

Estimated mileage at this stage - 1700 miles

 Stay tuned for part 1 of this trip coming up soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment